Orlando, a holiday destination famed for it’s theme parks, shopping malls and Disney everything! It’s a large city with lots of Coeliac friendly restaurants and many cuisines are represented.
I found restaurants in Orlando to be very good in catering for coeliac customers (and those that suffer from other allergies for that matter). A lot of the restaurants that I visited had separate gluten free menus and the waiters and waitresses always seemed so happy to help if I had any queries regarding menu options.
Gluten Free Eating, Orlando
- Celebration Town Tavern, 721 Front Street, Celebration, 34747. This is a great choice for a hungry coeliac looking to replenish their energy levels after trawling around the theme parks all day! The Celebration Town Tavern, which is done up to replicate a typical ‘New England’ tavern, has a separate gluten free menu and the options include gluten free pizza and a gluten free seafood medley. Reasonably priced and very tasty food.
- P.F Changs, The Mall at Millenia, 4200 Conroy Road, 32839. Looking for tasty gluten free Chinese food while in Orlando? This is the place for you – P.F. Changs can provide gluten free customers with an entirely gluten free menu with lots of oriental choices to choose from. The gluten free menu has lots of gluten free Chinese choices such as Chang’s spicy chicken and fried rice. They also have gluten free desserts on offer – the gluten free berries and cream shortcake is definitely worth saving room for!
- Chipotle Mexican Grill, Various locations. Mexican restaurants can be a great choice for a coeliac diner. If they’re authentic, the corn tortillas should be gluten free (as they are traditionally made from masa), which they are at Chipotle’s. You can build your own wraps or tacos according to what you fancy, the ingredients taste fresh and delicious, resulting in a very satisfying meal!
- BJ’s Restaurant, Various locations, I visited the International Drive restaurant, International Drive, Orlando, 32819. This restaurant was able to provide me with my own gluten free menu card, showcasing the gluten free options that were up for pickings. I can recommend the gluten free pizza that they served here, it had a nice crispy thin crust and they were not shy with the toppings! They also have a choice of gluten free salads and soups.
- Crave, American Kitchen & Sushi Bar, 4158 Conroy Road, Orlando, 32839. This restaurant serves the unusual mix of American cuisine alongside Japanese sushi. They have a separate gluten free menu for coeliacs or those with a gluten intolerance. There are a wide choice of dishes on the menu, everything from Burgers to Miso glazed salmon – so there should be something to suit every taste! The meals were of high quality and tasted great.
With many people holidaying in self catering apartments or villas in Orlando, I thought I should also mention where’s best to purchase gluten free products if you were thinking of making gluten free meals yourself, instead of going out. I found Whole Foods Market (8003 Turkey Lake Road, Orlando, 32819), to be a great choice. They had lots of gluten free essentials here including, gluten free pasta, cookies and bread.