There’s more to Prague than stag dos and cheap booze. Yes, really!
The restaurant scene in Prague for example, is definitely on the up. For the gluten free traveller in particular there are plenty of gluten free friendly restaurants to enjoy.
The capital of the Czech republic can actually be quite a romantic city, just head to the ornate old town square for example, which is a great place to have a drink and people watch. There is also the beautiful castle which is not unlike something out of Shrek (it has a definite air of Dulock about the place), very picturesque.
Question is, where should you go for a great gluten free dinner after, or in between all the sightseeing?
Top 5 gluten free friendly restaurants in Prague
1. Mash Hana, Badeniho 3, Prague 6 – Hradcany. When you visit Prague, Japanese food might not be your first thought, but this restaurant is a great place to come for coeliacs. As with most Japanese restaurants there is a lot of choice for those with a gluten allergy, so you definitely will not go hungry! The food here is delicious and authentically Japanese.
2. Bellevue, Smetanovo nabrezhi 329/18, Prague 110 00. The gluten free food here was exceptional and although a little pricier than most places in Prague, it worked out a lot cheaper than what you’d pay in a Western European city for the same quality of meal (reason enough to go? Yes!) The decor was luxurious and the food was like that of a Michelin starred restaurant. These two things, combined with stunning views (especially at night time) over the Vltava river, make it a very memorable place to have a meal. There were loads of gluten free choices on the menu and the staff were very happy to point out meals that could be adapted to be coeliac friendly. The gluten free bread that they brought out before the meal was delicious with a great texture, all in all a great experience!
3. Lehka Hlava, Borsov 2/280, Prague 110 00. This is primarily a vegetarian restaurant but they also happen to have lots of gluten free choices on their menu. The meals are innovative, with lots of dishes on the menu that I hadn’t seen or tasted before. The restaurant’s menu has a key system to clearly show which meals are and are not gluten free, which is always a welcome find for a coeliac! They also highlight other allergens/vegan meals. Verdict? Very tasty gluten free food and very reasonably priced.
4. Svejk Restaurant U Karla, Kremencova 186/7, Prague 110 00. This is a quintessentially Czech style restaurant, with lots of traditional fayre on offer. I was excited to see that they had a whole gluten free menu, wow! This place is a coeliac’s heaven, with gluten free bread, gluten free dumplings and gluten free schnitzel all on offer. What could make this experience even better? A gluten free beer to wash it all down with, which coincidentally they also serve…
5. Tricafe, Anenska 188/3, Prague 110 00. A small cafe with quite a range of gluten free cake and various types of coffee on offer. When I visited there were 4 gluten free cakes to choose from. Great little pit stop while out seeing the sites of the city. I recommend the gluten free brownies, they were very delectable!
For a pre or post gluten free dinner cocktail head over to Hemmingway bar located down an unassuming side street, this is the place to get your cocktails. It’s an old fashioned style bar, with the waiters taking your drinks order at the table. The cocktail menu is extensive and the atmosphere in the bar makes it a place that should not be missed!
Top tip: Gluten free in Czech is bez lepku, although I found that most waiting staff were able to speak very good English it’s always good to be prepared!
Related Tags: Coeliac Diet Blog