During your trip to London you will probably notice that gluten free eating in restaurants is a breeze. Generally speaking, it is a city that caters well for people with food allergies, including those with a gluten allergy or intolerance.
West London in particular is a great area to explore gluten free friendly restaurants and cafes – they are everywhere! It is more unusual round there to find a restaurant that doesn’t highlight gluten free options on there menu and most have at least a handful of options for the coeliac customer to choose from (and there are a few that are entirely gluten free).
In terms of price, it will probably come as no surprise that the restaurants and cafes in this area aren’t cheap but generally you do get what you pay for and let’s face it no where in London is cheap.
Tried & Tested Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants in West London
- Hummingbird Bakery, Various locations dotted around the city, I visited the South Kensington branch. 47 Old Brompton Road, SW7 3JP. This bakery sells the most delicious and beautifully decorated cakes, including gluten free cupcakes. Choose from a selection of gorgeous flavours including vanilla and red velvet. All of those that I’ve tasted have been really tasty and have a great texture. The icing is really yummy too!
- The Truscott Arms, 55 Shirland Road, W9 2JD. If you are a coeliac looking for traditionally British, hearty pub grub, then The Truscott Arms has your name all over it’s gluten free menu. Yes, they have a dedicated gluten free menu and serve classic pub favourites such as, gluten free fish and chips and gluten free burgers. It is also worth noting that hey also serve gluten free beer here too.
- The Good Life Eatery, Various locations. The Good Life Eatery restaurants have a focus on healthy eating and living. They serve lots of amazing combinations of smoothies and juices which are great for an on the go pick me up This is also a good breakfast option for a coeliac as they have loads of gluten free breakfast choices on the menu. The gluten free granola that they make here is really good as are the chestnut and almond waffles if you are looking for something a little different (and delicious!).
- The MaE Deli, 21 Seymour Place, W1H 5BH. An article on gluten free eating in West London wouldn’t be complete without mentioning Deliciously Ella’s deli cafe. Again, this is a great breakfast choice as they have plenty on offer (everything they sell is gluten free), but is also equally great for lunch or dinner. Try the fennel and aubergine curry ‘Mae bowl’, wonderful flavours and really filling. They also have a deli counter selling lots of delectable items for you to take away (perfect to stash in your hotel mini bar).
- Squirrel, 11 Harrington Road, South Kensington, SW7 3ES. Another restaurant with a focus on healthy eating (yes, there is a theme here, they are everywhere!). The restaurant has an interesting ‘outdoors’ themed decor and serves yummy, healthy food – what’s not to love?! Try the ‘guac ‘n’ roll’ it’s really tasty!
Related Tags: Gluten Free Recipes