Gluten Free Vietnamese Spring Rolls
During my trip to Hanoi, Vietnam in November 2018 I fell in love with Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls, I couldn’t get enough of them, so I learnt how to make my own at home!
Here is the recipe for gluten free Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls:
- Rice paper sheets/wraps
- Rice vermicelli noodles
- Prawns (cooked or raw) (optional)
- Pork or chicken (optional)
- Fresh mint
- Fresh coriander
- Finely chopped/grated carrot
- Finely chopped/grated Red cabbage
- Bean sprouts
- Frying oil (vegetable, canola)
Tip: You can add whatever filling you like! Switch out the meats and vegetables for whatever takes your fancy.
- Soak rice noodles in cold water for about 20 minutes, drain well
- Combine all your ingredients in a bowl (except the rice paper sheets)
- Soak a rice paper sheet in warm water to soften for about 15 seconds. Remove from the water and place on a damp cloth on a flat surface
- Place a tablespoon of mixture in the centre of the sheet. Fold the bottom edge into the centre, covering the filling. Fold in opposing edges and roll up tightly. Tip: Wrap in a second sheet to help them hold together better
- Heat oil in a work or large skillet over medium heat. (I actually like to use my air fryer for this instead – 200 degrees C for about 20 minutes)
- Fry the spring rolls in batches of 3 or 4 until crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Drain and serve.